About Tsukigase

About Tsukigase

The secret of the confectioner’s art, handed down over generations from the first master, lies in carefully selected ingredients.

The origin of the cafe goes back to Wakasaya Yoshikatsu, a traditional Kyoto-style confectionery shop, which opened in 1926 in Shijo Kawaramachi. The shop was accompanied by a small corner cafe.

There they served Anmitsu, a dessert of agar jelly with sweet red bean paste, and Zenzai, sweet red bean soup with rice cakes, using ingredients such as Tamba red beans and string agar, an ingredient used for Kyoto confectionery. They became the talk of the town and led to the opening of the current cafe.

The shop name comes from a village in Nara, famous for the rich scent of plum flowers. Supported by our customers over the years, the secret art has been passed down to a 4th generation.

Enjoy a moment of happiness that confectionery brings.

月ヶ瀬旧店舗 Tsukigase old store

<Sakaimachi Store>

月ヶ瀬 堺町店 外観
月ヶ瀬 堺町店 内観

Located in a quiet area, a little north from downtown.
Relax and feel at home in the modern shop in a quaint Kyoto neighborhood.

 

Store address
675-103 Marukizaimoku-cho, Oike-sagaru, Sakaimachi-dori, Nakagyou-ku, Kyoto

Closed
Wednesdays and 3rd Thursdays of the month, except national holidays.
*When regular closed days fall on national holidays, the shop is closed on the following day.

Access
A 4 minute walk from Exit 3-1 or 3-2 of Karasuma Oike Subway Station (Karasuma Line & Tozai Line).
After coming up to ground level, walk East on Oike Street and turn right on Sakaimachi Street. There is a FamilyMart on that corner.

<Takashimaya Store>

月ヶ瀬 髙島屋店 外観
月ヶ瀬 髙島屋店 内観

Familiar to our customers for over half a century.
Take a break from your day of shopping.

 

Store address
5F at Takashimaya Kyoto
52 Nishi-iru Shincho, Shijo-dori Kawaramachi, Shimogyo-ku, Kyoto

Closed
Same as Takashimaya’s Business Days

Access
Directly connected at the basement from Kawaramachi Station (Hankyu Kyoto Line).
5 minute walk from Exit 3 of Gion Shijo Station (Keihan Line)

<Gion Store – Gion Ichimura>

月ヶ瀬 祇園店「祇園いちむら」 外観
月ヶ瀬 祇園店「祇園いちむら」 内観

Our beloved Kawaramachi main shop, opened in 1926, moved to the Gion area in 2012.
Located in a changing city, the interior of the shop has stayed the same since the days of old.

 

Store address
584 Gionmachi Minamigawa, Yamato-oji Higashi-iru, Shijo-dori, Higashiyama-ku, Kyoto

Closed
Wednesdays and 3rd Thursdays of the month, except national holidays.
*When regular closed days fall on national holidays, the shop is closed on the following day.

Access
2 minute walk from Gion Shijo Station (Keihan Line)
It’s the 7th building east of the Shijo Yamato-oji junction, past Chugenji Temple.

*Accepts Credit Cards